7/06/2009

Running....How do I put this?

I wasn't born to be a runner. That is a fact, but just because it's a fact doesn't mean I can't change that. I signed up to run a 5k race on July 4Th in Riverdale. It was fun. I ran with my sister-in-law Susan and her boyfriend Nate for about the first 30 seconds. Then they were gone. I blame it on their age and the fact I didn't run for two weeks before the race. They are young people, under 30 and have always been doing some kind of running. According to Nate, his parents have had him running a mile a couple times a week since the sixth grade. Huh? I wonder if Daughter #1 should be doing that. I think we'll start next week with her.
So, I was able to run the 5k in 40 min. 50 sec. that is 21 sec. faster than the 5k I ran in May. That is still good. I am pleased, and sore. I will run a 5k in less than 35 min. someday. I plan on running the Ragnar Relay with my friend Amanda. I will run it. I will do better than ever. (I'm just convincing my self=})I'm very excited to run it. It's something I want to say I have done.
In August, my friend Mel will be running a 10k, and has asked me if I want to do the 5k. I probably will. It's always fun to run. In September my sister-in-law Anne has a walk or run and then in November my sister-in-law Susan wants to run on Thanksgiving morning.
To those I have been running with and will race with, I apologize right now that I.am.slow. I'm sorry. I will get faster though. Amanda and Mel have told me I will. I'm one of those runners, who, if stops for even one week, it takes two to get back to normal.
Oh well! I will become a better, faster, more proficient runner than I have ever been. I remember in junior high, we had to run the mile in p.e. I think I did it in under 8 min. I was young back then and could do it. Right now it takes anywhere from 10 to 13 min. I would like to change that to 9 min. per mile, 10 if there is a huge hill. I love to run now. I feel great when I go. I just keep pluggin' along. I feel strong and the best thing is, I feel healthy. Like I might be around for a long time for my kids. They are a partial reason to my running. i want to be here for them. I want them to have a mom who will play outside and will go on hikes with them and will be there at the soccer games cheering them on.
Maybe my hubby will join us in the mornings? Anyone else want to join us? We love company. My good friends are very supportive and willing to help. I just love them for it. They are great people and can keep up with each other. Love them all.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

You are doing awesome! Thanks for letting me come with you this morning!!!

Melanie said...

You're the best! I love going with you in the mornings!

Lori said...

i think it's great carla. seriously, it's such a journey. i was telling amanda back in the days before she ran with me I was much much slower. my first 5k was 45 minutes. yup. it's true carla. I now run a 5k easily in 27 minutes. you just have to believe you can run faster and be willing to work at it, which is sounds like you have both of those components.

wish I could be there to see it! good luck!