5/27/2010

Okay, so this is really late....

On Saturday, May 15th Stephen and I ran in the Ogden Marathon Relay race with 3 other fabulous people! I ran the first leg, which is 7 miles, coming mostly downhill from the start of the Marathon. It was HARD on me. I have only run 7 miles once before in my life-the week before the actual race. I got out of my shell and spoke with strangers-uh kinda scary for me-because I needed someone to talk with. I needed someone who was doing the same crazy thing I was only everyone I spoke with is crazier than I am. I have absolutely no desire to run a full marathon. NONE! Go you! if you love them. Not my cup of water. Lisa and I were at the bus loading zone by 5 a.m.ish. I think. It was kick butt early, so I'm not sure. We started out at 7ish a.m. from the start line. I was feeling really good. I had a good pace going. Then Mile 4 came up. My digestive system told me how much it hated me. Mile 5. It screamed at me. I even had to walk about a third of a mile. Mile 6. Only 1 more blasted mile, I can do this! I had to walk again. I felt so defeated. I ran as fast as my chubby legs would take me to my trade off. I did finish in 1 hr. 28 min. I was the last relay runner to get to my team-mate. How embarrassing. Totally not cool. I high-fived Lisa-who is awesome!- and headed straight for the porta johns. So if anybody knows a good something to take for this "Runners trots" problem, please, please, PLEASE let me know. For the love of all, let me know.
Lisa ran 6 miles and was awesome at it. She pulled a 10 min. mile. She in turn high-fived Tara who started out at the 1/2 marathons starting line. Tara is amazing. She hadn't truly prepped for a 1/2 marathon, but she finished the whole dang thing! Tara high-fived Bradi. Bradi is Lisa's s.i.l. and she was very excited to run this marathon. She got to run through Ogden Canyon and she had like a 9 min mile or something. So cool! She then met up with Stephen by the Timbermine. Now my hubby is way cool. He was the last relay runner waiting (uh, I think that is more my fault than anyone else's!) so Bradi didn't have to yell out the name I told her-Stephen is too common of a name. Bradi turned around and picked back up with Tara and finished with her. Stephen took off. He only had the 5K portion of the relay. He had a great pace and was passing other relay runners and felt terrible for passing the marathoners. He really felt bad about that. He ended up having a 8 min. mile I believe or it was 6. I'm not entirely sure, but, he ran fast. Lisa and I waited for him at 23rd and Grant in Ogden. We finished the race with him and our team time was faster than what I had expected. (It must have been the other 4 awesome people on this team.)
It was an experience that, at first, I hated my run-loved everyone else's. Now in hind-sight, I loved my run. It was beautiful. The starting line was great. I was tired and super, super sore the next day, but I would do it again. In fact I'm running a 8 miler with Lisa and Lesa this week. I'm a little worried, but I'll do what I can, they can run ahead and I can just meet them back at the starting line if I have to. No worries. I am working towards running a half sometime within the next year. I will be going on longer runs with Lisa and Stephen and a lot of Ragnar team people. I'm starting to really like this. Now, I truly need a miracle for the "runner" problem I'm having.
Lisa, Bradi, Brooke (Lisa and Bradi's S.I.L. who ran the full), Tara, and Me. Stephen is always behind the camera.

1 comment:

Julie w said...

Way to go Carla! You need to give yourself more credit! You obviously gave it your all and some more so way to go you!! And all the others too!