2/21/2010

My stupid lame foot.

So it's been awhile. I haven't forgotten about my blog, just too lazy to post anything until now. At the beginning of January, I hurt my foot somehow while I was running (for the first time in a month.) I hurt it on a Tues., did nothing Wed., did a boot camp on Thurs. (due to red air day), did nothing on Fri., and tried to do a 4 mile run with Amanda. We got about 1/2 mile out and I was ready to limp back. By the way, I limped 1/2 of that 1/2 mile. I went to the doctor later that day. I was in luck, the doctor that saw me is a huge runner; big into marathons, especially in Alaska. I told him I was training with my friends to run a 1/2 marathon and I needed to be getting back on my feet for training. The x-rays came back clean-no breaks, bone spurs or calcium deposits or anything that he could see that would be causing me pain. He determined that a tendon in my foot became inflamed. Or in another word Tendonitis. (For real!? I have been running pretty consistently since March of last year. I'm too young for this to happen. Stephen told me I probably stepped wrong when I was running and didn't realize it until it was too late. YUCK!) We were discussing this and I asked him "so, as I lose more weight, my foot will be able to do better right?" That was all he needed. He said my weight is probably one of the bigger reasons as to why my foot hurt. In another few words, I was to fat to try something like this and unless I lose the weight, I'll keep hurting myself. He put me on a pill-as small a dose he could give me that would help me (something to help increase my metabolism a tiny bit and to help curb my appetite,) told me to ride a bike and do low-impact exercises. He said if I could walk 3 miles without hurting my foot, then I could start running again.

I have been riding a bike with my friends as they run and I have been going to use my parents stationary bike the other days of the week. I am losing the weight a little bit at a time, but I'm finally seeing results of my hard work. Because I have been riding a bike, Stephen wants to go for rides. Problem is, he doesn't get home until it's dark and I don't want to go that late in the day. I'm a morning person and I like to workout in the morning, not at night. We did go for a ride a couple of Saturdays ago. We left our house and rode the parkway trail to I-15. A 8.5 mile round trip. The ride was great, I kept up with Stephen the whole way until we were almost home. That is when I noticed the flat tire I was trying to use to get me places. It sucked. Stephen is my hero. He traded me bikes. I didn't realize how nice the ride home was until we traded. We got home freezing because it got dark, after a beautiful sunny day I was used to the warmth. Ah, such is life. We haven't had a chance to go out again, but I continued riding with my friends and riding the other bike.

Last week I finally ran for 3 miles. Of course I had to walk a bit of it, but that was totally okay with me. I haven't run for over a month, I needed this. The next day, my foot hurt. Thankfully not as bad as it did before. I ran again, and my foot hurt more the next day. All I can say is Ibuprofin is good stuff. I took Saturday off. I rode the stationary bike on the off run days. I feel good, I feel like no matter what I do, I have to exercise somehow. My doc said to do it 6 days a week, but so far I can only get 4 days in, 5 if I'm lucky. I just know that I have been praying for a very long time for a way to help me lose weight. I have absolutely no self control, but now I'm learning to recognize when I'm hungry and when I'm not. The little pill that he gave me is, in short, an answer to my prayer. Some may disagree, such as my husband and a couple of friends, but I needed something more than just me. I'm grateful for those friends who either agree with it or disagree, you all have helped me to know you care. I am also thankful for your support either way. I love my friends and family and I'm to thankful your in my life. I know I'm not going to be on this pill forever. I should be able to hit my goal before the end of the year. It will take lots of work and I'm willing to put in the hours. I feel guilty for taking the pill, like I'm cheating or something, but I also know that I needed something to help me. Sorry for the novel, but this is my turmoil from the last couple of months. More to come later.

1 comment:

Julie w said...

Carla, sorry about your foot! I have a knee thing that bugs me when I run so I can kind of understand! I know how you feel about the pill thing but you know what? if it works, what do you have to lose, besides the weight? And in 5 years will it matter how you lost the weight? most likely no. so go out there and kick some rear!! Good luck!!