2/27/2010

I'm Grounded.

Wednesday, in the a.m., I ran up my stairs and started switching the laundry from washer to dryer. I stood in front of the washer and was turning towards the dryer. Ow! what the heck? My knee felt like it needed to be popped and twisted back into place. Oh. My. (@. (curse word) I tried so hard not to cry. I worked out my knee so I could at least walk on it. Later in the afternoon, I went for a nice and easy bike ride at my mom's. When I went to bed, my knee had a very dull pain, so I took some ibuprofen and went to sleep.
Fast forward to Thursday morning.
I went for a run on Thursday morning with Amanda and Lesa. We walked out about a 1/2 mile then started to run. Sharp, shooting pain from the knee up. OW! OW! OW! I didn't even get half a block before I started limping/running. I called out to Amanda and Lesa, they waited. I told them I couldn't go further. (Side note: If I did go on, I would have had to run down a hill, then back up. That would have hurt me more.) I wanted to cry so bad, but held it in. I was so frustrated that my body is sabotaging my efforts to run and to do that well. I was so mad I almost said some very extreme choice words, but I held my tongue in front of these two friends of mine. They didn't need to hear it, and I'm pretty sure they understand how I'm feeling about now.
I told them to keep going and I was going to walk back to Amanda's place. I was very watchful and careful and nothing happened. By the time I got back to Amanda's, my knee had a dull pain sort of in-the center-of-it-but-more-on-the-outside-of-my-knee. I got my keys and phone from the house and started to drive to my mom's to ride the bike. I called Stephen on the way and he said to just come home. "Your body is telling you to take a break and get better." CRAP!!!!! For real?!?!?!?!
My mind was so not having this. I wanted to run. It felt good to run. I miss it! So, I go home, crawl back into bed by Stephen, he holds me and I cry. I can't understand why this is happening. He tells me it's because my body is trying to strengthen itself and sometimes it has to be torn down to build back up the muscle and strength. Double Crap! We talked about the location of the pain and he has decided that it's my IT Band that is hurting and that it hurts because I have favored my foot for too long. "We" decided that I needed to take off a month from running. I should just do some walking after a week of rest, and do a lot more upper body and abs stuff. I can do that, right? I hope so, because running or riding the bike is the only true way I have felt I get any exercise.
Good thing I had a doctor's appointment that day.
I went in and visited with the doc. He agreed that I needed a month to completely heal my leg. He still tells me I haven't lost enough weight to truly run like I want to but by the beginning of April I should have lost enough and my leg should be healed up by then that I can start really training for my runs I have in May and June. Lets.hope.so. He said that if I kept going and re-injuring myself, I'd keep getting discouraged. (Side note- I have lost about 10 lbs. since I started taking the phentermine. That's not bad. I don't think I could have done it without the pill.)
So, for now, I am able to go on brief walks. Once my tendons start to heat up and hurt I have to slow down and take it easy. I haven't like to relax more than usual. I don't really like to just not use my legs for exercise. It's so not right. Gurrrrrr! How many ways can you say or describe "Frustration." I'd like to see what you comment with. Tell me how many there are. Maybe I'll make a whole post of the different ways to describe frustration.
Well that is why I'm grounded. Maybe someone can post a good exercise that won't hurt and I feel like I've exercised.

3 comments:

Julie w said...

Carla, go to walmart, go to the fitness DVD section, buy Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred. You'll thank me later!! Seriously!! such a good workout for 20 minutes a day. Seriosly!! Use peanut butter bottles for the weights if you don't already have some!! let me know if you like it.

p.s. pretty sure I have IT band problems too and there's suppose to be some sort of band you put around your quad's to help with running if you want to look into it. I don't know much about them tho. Amanda might know about them.
I have to stop running after a about 10 minutes sometimes. DON'T RUN ON IT THO!! It only gets worse. There are IT band stretches demostrated online too if you go to youtube.com and type in IT band stretches. Good luck!!

sorry so long! :)

Julie w said...

p.p.s congrats on the 10 lbs!! Awesome!!!

Julie w said...

okay, I swear this is the last one. the dvd is only 9.00 so it's totally doeable!