8/12/2010

School begins soon

So school will begin very soon for my children. I'm frazzled and torn, not because I don't want them to go to school, it's where they will be going. We unfortunately haven't moved anywhere-or even close to it but that's another post- and my oldest will be going to a jr. high that I do.not.like! I've been pleading with the Lord to let her attend elsewhere but so far, I've not noticed an answer. I would love for all three to attend a charter school close to home, but, no one has called me back and I've been calling almost every.stinkin'.day. I feel trapped. I don't know how else to help my children's education be better other than what we do at home already. At the jr. high G#1 will be attending, it's not so much the education as it's the attitude of the students attending there.

The attitude is...why should we learn English if we don't speak it at home? why should we care about your history if it's not ours? math will take us no where but to the welfare system just like our parents.


Do you see why I want better for my daughter? You do understand don't you? The teachers kind of give up and seem to act as if they don't care because the student's don't. We have had several conversations with our daughter telling her she'll have to work harder than ever so she can do better in school. not that she's had too much trouble with school but that she'll have to involve herself with the teachers to make sure she gets all the knowledge she can in the subjects they teach. She is a hard worker and she can be and is a great student, but I worry if, with the wrong kinds of friends, the attitudes of others, and teachers giving up, she'll get "left behind."


I know it's kind of silly, but my children's education is their key to having a better lifestyle than what they are growing up with. I'm not saying they have it bad now, but if they learn now to budget their money, learn that there is always 2 sides and sometimes a 3rd, have an open mind but know who they are, learn an occupation that will help with their own families (for the girls if needed,) I believe that they will be able to have a great life and not worry about if they'll make the next house payment without using line of credit or having to go into debt to fix a car. We are really trying. They don't go without the necessities.


This didn't end the way I thought it would. I'm just rambling.Sorry.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh friend. You sound stressed. Are you ready for some advice from someone who does not have any kids over the age of 2? (Haha. That means you can ignore it if you want to.)
First, if you really want her to go to a charter school, I would go down there physically and try to get her in. They should be back in their offices now with school starting so soon.
Second, the school district has an open enrollment policy. So you could switch her to another jr. high, you'd just have to drive. Its just a thought.
So there's my unsolicited advice!

Domestic Goddess and her Hero said...

Thank you friend! The other jr. high I tried to get her into said even with a form filled out and with a friend's name on it (my friend works there) it will still go to a lottery type acceptance. I think I will go to the charter school and see what I can do. Tomorrow! Wish me luck!!! and yes, I'm very stressed, I need to go on a run....interested?